Home

Friday 28 January 2011

Update: personal progress

Just a quick update about my job hunting and postgraduate education. I applied for a teaching course a few months ago. I applied for both PGCE and GTP (graduate teacher programme), which are both held at Nottingham Trent. It was a something I thought through for a very long time, so I thought it was time to try and apply. I want to become a ICT teacher in a secondary school. This includes either ICT itself or Applied ICT. These courses require me to have at least 10 days experience in a secondary school, which I do not have. I do however have a years experience in an independent school. However, I have been told this does not count. I have been in contact with a few schools. The school I really wanted to gain my experience with is my old secondary school, Greenwood Dale, now known as the Nottingham Academy. Luckily, I have had a positive response from them and they called me in for an interview, which was on Wednesday 26th. It went a lot better than I expected.
I met all my old school teachers, talked with the head of ICT and discussed what I wanted to do and how they could help. They have called me back next week and the week after and have also said they will help me with interview techniques etc. To say I am trying to get a job at the place in the near future, them offering to help me with the interview is fantastic. It was great meeting with all the teachers again, and I spent a few hours going around meeting them. I also observed a 6th form ICT class and asked the students questions on the work they were doing to get a flavour of the module content.
I was also asked by my old media studies teacher if I would work with the media department for the documentary film module they have. I also did this when I was in 6th form, so I known everything is covers and how it goes. As well as this, I will be working with the students on a after-school film making class. It all seems really good and I am glad I have been offered all of these positions.

For my PGCE course, I have now been called in for an interview in a few weeks. Hopefully, my interview for the course goes well, and the job with the Nottingham Academy looks pleasing.

Also, I have been in contact with the YMCA media department for work. They got back to me and I was called in for a interview on Thursday 27th. Went really well and they asked me the equipment/softwares I can use, what work I've done etc. They asked me for a DVD of my work, which I did'nt have and will send later. It makes me think that having DVD copies of my work portfolio or building a website may be useful for myself. Anyway, they called me back to a film shooting they are doing in two weeks, which lasts 5 weeks, all across the country to get a flavour of the work they do. Hopefully, this will also lead me to something good.

1 comment:

Jools said...

cool. sounds like lots of promising things happening. make sure you follow up with the dvd man!!!!!